Thursday, February 19, 2009

Arcturus and Misanthropy


Arcturus is my most favorite band, it may be childish of me to have a favorite band, but I truly admire the artistic creativity of Arcturus. They have many moods, one for each album; the album that speaks to me the most is "La Masquerade Infernale" The song on that album entitled Alone is actually music that accompanies an Edgar Allen Poe piece. Here is the poem in its entirety.

Alone- By Edgar Allen Poe
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were - I have not seen
As others saw - I could not bring
My passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I lov'd, I lov'd alone
Then - in my childhood - in the dawn
Of a most stormy life - was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In it's autumn tint of gold -
From the lighting in the sky
As it pass'd me flying by -
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that look the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

The real mysticism and misanthropy comes from actually hearing the emotions of the song itself along with the lyrics. The line that speaks deeply to my subconscious is "from the same source I have not taken". I can relate to that message because I feel that I am different from the average society, I have drunken from a different cup, and walked a path unnoticed to others. I feel as if I have been awakened from a deep sleep and all around me people are still coldly rooted in their deepest slumber. When I hear this song it penetrates to my inner sentient being which tells me that there are those out there who are also awake and follow my path.

Here is a video of the song along with the lyrics, bask in the melancholy...

No comments: