Sunday, February 22, 2009

Excerpt from my Book

Over the past year I have been writing a book off and on. The book is basically my philosophical prose with an emphasis on misanthropy. Though, in my texts I never use the word misanthropy, it is just assumed. Each prose is typically no longer than three pages. My inspiration for this writing comes from Emile Cioran, Charles Bukowski, and Christopher Hyatt. Read it and let me know what you think.

Deterioration of the Illusive Third Eye

I have spent many nights pondering the truth of the elegant stories of our ancient history as told through pages of chastised blasphemy. Our mythologies speak of a time when men would communicate with gods, and gods would listen, advise, and counsel; and furthermore, gods would actually physically speak to men. It was through a lost membrane of our bygone ancestors that allowed them this exotic experience of communicating with the beyond. Depicted in many esoteric books, statues and architecture is a lost reverence of the illusive third eye that was once possessed by the ancients. This captivating all-seeing eye is conveniently drawn in golden halls and on coins to remind us of our continuous de-evolution and our plummeting existence into the material world.

Ages ago humans lived in a purely cosmological world that was completely separated from the material universe. These people lived only in the consciousness of their mind and their physical bodies were just extensions of their thoughts. To them, every circumstance was predestined and fortuned by the powers of gods and demi-gods. When the wind was blowing, it was because a god set it to be. When the billowing sun ascended in the morning sky, it was because a powerful god chose to make it rise. Today, science can explain such mysteries and disprove the existence of gods. The gaping third eye which the ancients saw through has been permanently sealed up by bone and tissue as modern man traversed into the material universe that now inhabits us. It was through the deterioration of the illusive third eye that man began to question himself and the world around him. Without the third eye, we are blind to all but physical material items.

While I can laugh at the notion of believing that a god in the sky commands the sun to raise everyday; I cannot write off the idea that my ancestors were more in tune with our world than we could ever ponder. The beliefs and stories of our fathers may seem silly to us now because of our so called superior intellect and our understanding of science. However, I can only dream of a world where my imagination is equal to my dreams and my dreams are my only reality.

The great mythologies of our past are today seen as nothing more than a child’s tale or materials of great fiction. I have no evidence to prove or disprove any of these great stories, but I can raise the question of belief and truth. If I hold a knife in my hand, I can see it, feel it, use it and I know without a doubt that it exists. The same must be true of our ancestors who saw the world through the illusive third eye. What they saw and thought were just as real as the knife that I held in my hand. This does not mean that our fathers lived a gullible life of delusions, it means that they were extremely creative and passionate about life and living. What can we say for ourselves now? Science has proved that there are no gods and we are infinitely miniscule in this vast cosmos. I would rather take that knife and carve a third eye out of my flesh and live with my ancient brothers while basking in the ignorance of the material universe!

Alas, I must beg to note that our illusive third eyes have not left us forever. It remains intact deep inside each of us. It is now blocked by a thick skull wall and muscle tissue, but it resides locked away in the prison of our material thoughts. Through concise meditations and revelations, the illusive third eye can be unlocked, but only briefly and to no extent of that of our belated ancestors. In order to see through your third eye, you must suspend belief in all that you know and release your mind to see without judgment. Seeing the world as our forefathers did is deeply complex and can often lead to madness, but nothing could possibly be more mad than seeing the world as I see it now…
copyright 2009 M.W. Barnett


No comments: